Sending large files over email has always been a tricky thing to do. All email clients have attached file limits, usually at around 30MBs. Therefore, if you wish to send multiple photos or videos over email, or a similar file of large size, you’ll have to find a workaround.
In this tutorial, we are going to be guiding you through two tricks that render sending large files over email possible.
Method #1: The cloud
For those unfamiliar, you can make great use of the wide range of cloud services available on the web.
For the purpose of this tutorial, we will be using Google Drive and Dropbox, which offer 17GB and 2GB of free cloud space respectively.
If you are not a particularly big fan of Google’s environment, we’d suggest you skip the Drive section and check out the Dropbox option instead.
- Go to Google Drive
- Log in using your Google credentials or sign up
- Upload the file you wish to share by clicking on the new button (Drive supports all types of files)
- Once you upload the file, look for it on the ‘Search Drive’ search bar located on the top of the page
- Open it and click on the three-dot icon
- Click on ‘Share’ and select what kind of access you want to grant to people with the file’s link (edit, comment, view)
- If the people you wish to send the file to have a Gmail account, just type in their email addresses in the ‘People’ box
- Alternatively, click on ‘Get a shareable link’, then ‘Copy Link’ and paste it in the email
If you are on mobile, Drive has an Android and iOS app as well.
- Go to Dropbox website’s
- Log in or sign up
- Click on the upload icon
- Select the file you wish to send over email from your computer
- Once uploaded, find the file on Dropbox and click on the ‘Share’ button
- If the people you wish to send the file to have a Dropbox account, add their email address to the box on the top
- Alternatively, click on ‘Create a link’, copy and paste it in the email
Method #2: Zip it
Another option here is file zipping. So, if the above method is not your cup of tea, have a look at this one.
- Go to Win RAR‘s website and download the program
- Find the file you wish to send over email and right click on it
- If you have an email client downloaded to your computer, click on ‘Compress to ‘X’ and email’
- If you don’t, click on ‘Add to ‘X”
- A ZIP file will emerge in the same location as the original file
- Attach the ZIP file to the email and click send
You can also ZIP files on Android with great ease. Feel free to check out our tutorial on that for more info.