Vine 2.0 Teased By Co-Founder

In this day and age of social media where it is dominated by short-form videos like Snapchat and Instagram Stories, it would have been interesting to see how Vine would have fared. Unfortunately Twitter shut down the service before we could find out, although by the looks of it, we could be getting another shot.

As you might have heard, Vine’s co-founder Dom Hofmann recently tweeted that he is working on a follow-up to Vine, and in his latest tweet, Hofmann teased that Vine 2.0 could be coming. Details are scarce at this point in time, but based on Hofmann’s tweets, it seems that he is hinting that we could be looking at Vine 2.0 or an app that is similar.

Note that Vine was acquired by Twitter, although following the shut down of the service it is unclear as to what might have become of the brand and its IP (last we heard Twitter was apparently looking for a buyer). If it still belongs to Twitter we doubt that Hofmann would be launching Vine 2.0, which could mean that we will be looking at a service that is similar in concept/nature, or that’s what we are assuming.

That being said it unclear when Hofmann’s follow-up app/service will be launched, because he had previously tweeted that this would be an outside project that he will be funding himself, so as not to get in the way of his current work, meaning that he might not have that much time to develop it. Either way it will be interesting to see what he comes up with, and whether or not it will be a success, especially compared to the already-established social media platforms.

Vine 2.0 Teased By Co-Founder , original content from Ubergizmo. Read our Copyrights and terms of use.

More...

Vine’s Co-Founder Says He’s Working On A ‘Follow-Up’

Back in 2012, Twitter acquired Vine ahead of its official launch which seemed to spawn a trend of short-form videos, resulting in some people becoming internet celebrities as a result. However in 2016, Twitter announced that they would be shutting the service down, where in early 2017 the service officially shut its doors.

However the good news is that Vine’s co-founder Dom Hofmann has announced (via The Verge) that he is working on a follow-up to Vine. According to Hofmann, “i’m going to work on a follow-up to vine. i’ve been feeling it myself for some time and have seen a lot of tweets, dms, etc.” He also adds that he will be funding the effort himself, but as it stands he has nothing to share regarding the specifics of what he is working on.

i’m going to work on a follow-up to vine. i’ve been feeling it myself for some time and have seen a lot of tweets, dms, etc.

— dom hofmann (@dhof) November 30, 2017

While Vine might be gone, in a way you could argue that its spiritual successor comes in the form of Snapchat Stories, where users can also upload short-form video (sometimes). This has been copied by the likes of Facebook who applied it to their other services and products, like Messenger, Instagram, and WhatsApp. Recently it also appears that YouTube is testing out a similar feature.

In any case only time will tell what Hofmann could be working on, but given the success of Vine, you can bet that we’re interested in seeing what he’s got.

Vine’s Co-Founder Says He’s Working On A ‘Follow-Up’ , original content from Ubergizmo. Read our Copyrights and terms of use.

More...

Vine Users’ Emails Were Compromised


Twitter has informed users of its now-defunct Vine platform that their email addresses and in some cases, their phone numbers, were compromised to third parties. The company mentions that the user information was only exposed for a day and that it wasn’t misused, but still, users should be careful and keep an eye on any unusual activity associated with their email accounts.

Vine was a very popular social app at one point but its numbers declined significantly after Instagram added looping videos to its platform and even raised the time limit up to one minute. Twitter eventually had to shut down Vine because it made no sense to keep the service around.

Twitter says that the email addresses and phone numbers of Vine users were exposed due to a bug which was active for only 24 hours before it was patched. It doesn’t believe that this data was misused in any way during this time.

It merits mentioning here that it’s not like Twitter suffered a leak due to a cyberattack or a hack. The bug only made the email addresses and phone numbers that the company had on file available under certain conditions.

Twitter hasn’t provided any details about how the bug was able to do what it did and how it was discovered, it’s not even saying how the bug might have enabled any third-party to view the data.

It’s only informing users about this bug as it wants to be transparent about vulnerabilities, and not because it feels that someone actually misused the data. Nevertheless, Twitter advises users to be careful with emails from unknown senders.

Vine Users’ Emails Were Compromised , original content from Ubergizmo. Read our Copyrights and terms of use.

More...

Vine Launches A Searchable Video Archive Of Its Old Videos

vine_video_archiveAs you’ve probably learnt by now, Vine has shut down its video services. This was confirmed back in October of 2016 where Twitter announced their plans to shutter the service. That being said, it seems that Vine isn’t quite done with video just yet as the platform has just launched a searchable video archive of all the videos that have been uploaded to its website.

What this means is that if you head on over to Vine’s website, you’ll be able to search for videos dating back to 2013. Now when Twitter announced their plans to shut down Vine’s video service, they also told users that they have the opportunity to download their uploaded videos if they wish to keep a copy of it, but with this new searchable archive, it seems that Twitter isn’t completely closing the service.

We should point out that you will not be able to upload new Vine videos, so as far as Vine’s video operations are concerned, it’ll just solely exist as a video archive. Instead in case you forgot, Vine has been changed to a standalone camera app where you can still capture 6 second looping videos, you’ll just have to find another social network to share it on.

In any case if you do want to go back in the archives and dig around for some old Vine classics, you’re more than welcome to do so.

Vine Launches A Searchable Video Archive Of Its Old Videos , original content from Ubergizmo. Read our Copyrights and terms of use.

More...

Vine Shuts Down Today

vine-logo-20130201
It was officially confirmed by Twitter last year that it would be shutting down its six-second video platform Vine in a few months. The company announced a few weeks back that Vine will officially be dumped on January 17th, 2017. That’s today, which means that today is the last day you can download videos from the platform before they’re no longer available for download.

Twitter may be shutting down Vine as a platform but the app will continue to live on as a simple camera app that still allows users to record six-second looping videos. However, instead of running a platform to host those videos, the app will now allow users to share those videos to other social networks such as Twitter.

Vine users who want to hold on to the content have their last and only chance today to download videos from the app. Once the new app, called Vine Camera, goes live users will no longer be able to download their Vines from the app.

As far as the website is concerned, the Vine website will now be used to host an archive of content that was previously posted on the platform. For all intents and purposes, though, Vine is officially dead.

Vine Shuts Down Today , original content from Ubergizmo. Read our Copyrights and terms of use.

More...